held in Antigonish from
August 29th - September
For more information, visit the
History: The Eastern Nova Scotia Exhibition
began as a fall fair produced by the County of Sydney Agricultural Society
in October of 1853. Records are virtually non-existent up until 1917.
The early exhibition grounds were located in the east end of Antigonish
around St. Andrews Street, in an area commonly known as "The Elms".
The 10.87 acres included a number of bars, pens, a grandstand, and a cinder
track. The Highland Games were also held on this property, along with various
other community events.
In 1937, due to a requirement for the property by the
Department of Highways and Public Works, the land was exchanged for an
equivalent amount a land expropriated from the Estate of Dan Hurlbert.
This is the site of the current exhibition grounds. The Highland
Society shared use of the land until the development of Columbus Field.
In 1969, the arena was constructed and an agreement
exists which allows the Exhibition full use of the facility for two weeks